Monday, November 15, 2010

PE4_Google Ettiquette: There is a way to BEHAVE!

See the comment at the upper right corner?  It's good manners to leave one before deleting content.



I am an intrapersonal learner and find group settings rather difficult when the group has an assignment to complete.  So I was taken aback when I listened to the Lynda.com tutorial about etiquette on Google docs.  Sure it makes sense, but it never occurred to me.  I have shared only one Google doc and I had some difficulties, but etiquette?  I never gave it a thought. 

Here’s what I learned:
1.     Be patient with your collaborators.
2.     Explain, explain, explain why you’re making the decisions and edits that you’re doing.
3.     Use descriptive titles because generic titles may create redundancy or confusion.
4.     Respect owner’s sharing options.  Request permission first before sharing with others.
5.     Don’t delete!  It’s better to check in with collaborators to see if they still have a need or use for the document.  If they do, then change ownership in “more actions” tab.
6.     When making edits, leave a note behind for your collaborators so they know why you did.  Simply “Insert” a  “Comment”

Here’s what not to do:
1.     Take edits personally
2.     Ignore questions
3.     Delete useful information.  Leave a comment for future discussion. (See my screenshot of this example.)

No comments:

Post a Comment