Friday, June 24, 2011

MAC Week #4, Comment #2 to Karen’s Blog

She said. . .
Week #4
Oh the Possibilities if I Only Remember to Aim High

If I were to wish for anything I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of what can be, for the eye, which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating as possibility?

- Soren Kierkegaard, Either/Or

Over the past four years I have been guided to books that teach me about possibility. Some might say it is a coincidence that I keep happening upon books with a common theme. I, however, don't believe in coincidences.

I had been looking for an educational technology master's degree on and off since the early 1990s. I started one in 1995 but soon dropped out after I realized our school district technology was more advanced than the university's. Sixteen months ago I saw an advertisement for Full Sail's EMDT program on the PBS web site. I had just gone through a divorce after 19 years of marriage and needed a new focus so I sent away for information. I received a beautiful color catalogue along with information on the EMDT program. I looked over the information then I looked at the tuition cost and promptly threw the information in the trash. Paying $30,000 for a masters degree was not in my realm of possibility. A few weeks later a representative from Full Sail called me and told me about a teacher's scholarship they were giving that would make it possible for me to attend Full Sail. I still needed to get the okay from my human resource department because the degree I was seeking was non-traditional. Within a month I received the okay from human resources, filled out the FASFA, received my enrollment papers and received my Launchbox. Next month I will finish the program and return to school in the fall with a masters degree. A year and a half ago I did not even consider earning a master's degree by Fall of 2011 a possibility.

After graduation I plan to look for a house. My kids and I have been leasing a house for the last two years. We've had a lot of water and mold problems in this house so I want to look for a place to move as soon as my lease is up. I began thinking about a small, older condominium complex that met my requirements. It never occurred to me to look for a place that far exceeded my expectations. Then, recently I came across a listing for a new condominium complex a few miles away. After reading the the Art of Possibility the past two weeks my sites are set on something bigger and better as a possibility. Tomorrow I am going to tour the new complex. Oh, the possibilities!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poptech2006/2968249166/

I said. . .
Hallelujah! Wow! Your blog is truly an inspiration. Like you I mused about Full Sail a full year (no pun intended) before I took the plunge. It is no coincidence – simply it was God that put you and me and the others in our class together. It was God who brought those books with the same theme to your attention. Nothing is by accident. Just imagine! In the fall, we are going into our classrooms with advanced degrees and the experience to improve lives in a most powerful and interesting way.

You are right to claim that condo! Claim it because there is power in what we speak and what we believe. And don’t worry about how it will turn because:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment