Thursday, June 16, 2011

Week 3 Reading Post: Chapters 5-8

http://www.freeimages.co.uk/galleries/nature/abstract/index.htm

Much of what the Zanders discuss makes common sense when you stop to think about life and the experiences – universal and unique – people go through.

For one, people should be invited to the passionate energy that excites. And that’s found in the eyes. Often, we’re so worried about what others will think and that can operate as a great hindrance. Let it go! If they laugh, it will likely be because it was supposed to be funny. Which leads to our tendency to take ourselves too seriously. Now this attitude can definitely sap the energy that drives our performances. Remembering and following rule #6 will be a part of how I conduct business in my classroom and in life. What an enlightened attitude to have!

One of the challenges I have vowed to take up is to delegate more responsibility to tasks that I would overwhelm myself with. Often in my career, I have assumed too much for what others should be accountable for: learning, good grades, etc. Letting others lead, evens out the pressure of the task and its reward. The “White Sheet” is a good assessment of just how best to allow others to lead. It is constructive and empowering and a great segue into our view of “the way things are.” I’ll admit that I don’t always share the optimistic view of life’s circumstances. I really like the idea of allowing the present to be what it is without the resistance found in pessimistic thinking. It reminds me of the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change; 

courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it; 

Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

1 comment:

  1. Ishia, great comments about the reading. They really lead to some thought provoking ideas. You mentioned the 'White Sheets' Exercise Zander writes about and I agree with you, it is a great way to let other lead. It is also a great way to get some quick, informal feedback about what is working and what isn't in the classroom or where ever. I think it is an idea I would like to try when I am directing plays. I'd like more feedback from the actors but we always run out of time.

    I also really like your comment on delegating things. I think as teachers we sometimes feel responsible for everything and it is important to put things in perspective, do what we can and encourage others to show what they can do as well.

    ReplyDelete